BUG #8463: Packaging problem with postgis rpms - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From kyrimis@alumni.princeton.edu
Subject BUG #8463: Packaging problem with postgis rpms
Date
Re: BUG #8463: Packaging problem with postgis rpms  (Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      8463
Logged by:          Kriton Kyrimis
Email address:      kyrimis@alumni.princeton.edu
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.4
Operating system:   Scientific Linux  6.4

(I am submitting this report here, as I assume that the rpms downloaded from
yum.postgresql.org are built by postgresql and not by postgis.)

The latest release of the postgis2_92* rpms (version 2.0.4) introduced a new
package, postgis2_92-client, containing, among other things, the postgis
shared library. This creates the problem that, after updating an existing
system, the shared libraries disappear, and postgis stops working, producing
the error "postgis2_92-client-2.0.4-1" whenever a query involving postgis is
executed.

At the very least, the postgis2_92 package should depend on the
postgis2_92-client package, so that updating the former will also install
the latter, thus avoiding breaking existing systems.