BUG #8438: Usage of Pipe operator in Windows(CMD.exe) shows the password typed with any PG utility. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com
Subject BUG #8438: Usage of Pipe operator in Windows(CMD.exe) shows the password typed with any PG utility.
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      8438
Logged by:          Raghav
Email address:      raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.2
Operating system:   Windows

Hi,

I have PostgreSQL 9.2 instance on Windows 7 running in MD5 authentication
mode. Anytime I connect I need to pass the password for connection. When I
try to connect from command prompt using PIPE ('|") operator; and the
password I type is visible(shown) instead of hiding it. For example in
linux, any password typed when prompted will not show it just hides it.
Which seems not the same in windows. Please look at the example below:

1. Go to command prompt (runas /user:postgres "cmd.exe")

2. Pass the some command using pipe operator to Psql (or any utility).

c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin>echo select version(); | psql -p 5433
Password: postgres

                           version
 PostgreSQL 9.2.2, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 32-bit
(1 row)

If you see above output, the password I typed as "postgres" is clearly
visible. I didn't tried to reproduce on any other version of PG or Windows.
Below are my version details:

Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit
PostgreSQL: PostgreSQL 9.2.2

For any further information required, I would be glad to share if its sent
to my email id: raghavendra.rao@enterprisedb.com.

Thank you .

---
Regards,