pgsql: Fix longstanding race condition in plancache.c. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix longstanding race condition in plancache.c.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix longstanding race condition in plancache.c.

When creating or manipulating a cached plan for a transaction control
command (particularly ROLLBACK), we must not perform any catalog accesses,
since we might be in an aborted transaction.  However, plancache.c busily
saved or examined the search_path for every cached plan.  If we were
unlucky enough to do this at a moment where the path's expansion into
schema OIDs wasn't already cached, we'd do some catalog accesses; and with
some more bad luck such as an ill-timed signal arrival, that could lead to
crashes or Assert failures, as exhibited in bug #8095 from Nachiket Vaidya.
Fortunately, there's no real need to consider the search path for such
commands, so we can just skip the relevant steps when the subject statement
is a TransactionStmt.  This is somewhat related to bug #5269, though the
failure happens during initial cached-plan creation rather than
revalidation.

This bug has been there since the plan cache was invented, so back-patch
to all supported branches.

Branch
------
REL9_2_STABLE