BUG #7625: corrupted pid file prevents postgreSQL from normal starting - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From tixu@cs.ucsd.edu
Subject BUG #7625: corrupted pid file prevents postgreSQL from normal starting
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      7625
Logged by:          Tianyin Xu
Email address:      tixu@cs.ucsd.edu
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.1
Operating system:   Linux (actually doesn't matter)

Hi, Postgresql,

Maybe this problem is well studied, but I still hope to point it again
because the problem still exists in PostgreSQL and is affecting a lot of
users.

------------------

I met the following message because of the issue I reported in BUG #7624:

FATAL:  XX000: bogus data in lock file
"/home/tianyin/postgresql-9.2.1/local/pgsql/data/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": ""

Searching a bit on the Internet, I found so many people are suffering from
the same problem (actually this's good for fixing):

http://solaimurugan.blogspot.com/2010/10/fatal-bogus-data-in-lock-file-in.h=
tml

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3D41151

http://dbaspot.com/postgresql/209123-postmaster-refuses-start.html

http://jameslovecomputers.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/fatal-bogus-data-in-lock=
-file-postmaster-pid/

I noticed you guys had discussion on the similar problem in the pgsql-hacker
mailing list, =

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4F05A338.7000409%40enterprisedb.c=
om

I don't know whether I encountered the same problem, since the reported
problem is for postmaster
(FATAL: bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid": "")  but mine is for
postgreSQL server. =

I strongly agree that,
"On a laptop it's not a big deal, but it sort of sucks if your production
database fails to start automatically after an unexpected power outage."

I apologize if it's the same problem. But, if not, it's still worthy solving
the problem.

Thanks a lot,
Tianyin