pgsql: Fix NOTIFY to cope with I/O problems, such as out-of-disk-space. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix NOTIFY to cope with I/O problems, such as out-of-disk-space.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix NOTIFY to cope with I/O problems, such as out-of-disk-space.

The LISTEN/NOTIFY subsystem got confused if SimpleLruZeroPage failed,
which would typically happen as a result of a write() failure while
attempting to dump a dirty pg_notify page out of memory.  Subsequently,
all attempts to send more NOTIFY messages would fail with messages like
"Could not read from file "pg_notify/nnnn" at offset nnnnn: Success".
Only restarting the server would clear this condition.  Per reports from
Kevin Grittner and Christoph Berg.

Back-patch to 9.0, where the problem was introduced during the
LISTEN/NOTIFY rewrite.

Branch
------
REL9_0_STABLE