BUG #6609: pattern matching (version 8.2 or so...) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From biju.george@ust-global.com
Subject BUG #6609: pattern matching (version 8.2 or so...)
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      6609
Logged by:          biju george
Email address:      biju.george@ust-global.com
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system:   Linux

I have a text column which have values like
'01abcd','012345','abcde',etc...
Now I am trying to take the first 2 characters of the column and pass into a
function which takes only integer values and returns an integer. So, I need
to check before I input into the function whether the substring is integer
or not. If integer then the return value else default value say 99.
select my_function(case when substr(my_column,1,2) like '[0-9][0-9]' then
substr(my_column,1,2) else 99 end) from my_table;
I tried like, =3D, ~. Nothing seems to work. Tried ::text, ::integer and
all...

It always throws error --
ERROR:  CASE types integer and text cannot be matched

The darn thing just don't work... :mad: