BUG #6494: Listening to * fails for IP V6 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From curd.reinert@ppi.de
Subject BUG #6494: Listening to * fails for IP V6
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      6494
Logged by:          Curd Reinert
Email address:      curd.reinert@ppi.de
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.7
Operating system:   AIX

Hello everyone,

on a AIX with IP V6 enabled, I try to listen on all interfaces

listen_addresses =3D '*'

and get=20

LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Der Socket-Name wird bereits verwendet.
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a
few seconds and retry.

Of course I made sure there was nothing running on that port. I can then
connect to the database using 127.0.0.1, but not with ::1.

If instead I specify the IP addresses explictly,

listen_addresses =3D '127.0.0.1,fdeb:df42:ebda:0815:0:0:0:18,::1'

then there is no error and I can connect to all the addresses. 'localhost'
instead of '*' also works, but I want to connect remotely.

It's a 9.0.7 which was build on AIX 5.3 with readline, zlib and
thread-safety disabled. The machine I originally tried to run it is a AIX
6.1. Symptoms on the 5.3 are the same.=20

We only have this trouble on AIX. We are already connection succesfully
remotely over IP V6 to database running on Linux, Solaris, and Windows 7 (as
far as I know).

I didn't find anything useful in FAQ or TODO, I hope I didn't miss something
obvious.=20

Many thanks,

Curd