pgsql: Remove useless "retry memory" logic within regex engine. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Remove useless "retry memory" logic within regex engine.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Remove useless "retry memory" logic within regex engine.

Apparently some primordial version of Spencer's engine needed cdissect()
and child functions to be able to continue matching from a previous
position when re-called.  That is dead code, though, since trivial
inspection shows that cdissect can never be entered without having
previously done zapmem which resets the relevant retry counter.  I have
also verified experimentally that no case in the Tcl regression tests
reaches cdissect with a nonzero retry value.  Accordingly, remove that
logic.  This doesn't really save any noticeable number of cycles in itself,
but it is one step towards making dissect() and cdissect() equivalent,
which will allow removing hundreds of lines of near-duplicated code.

Since struct subre's "retry" field is no longer particularly related to
any kind of retry, rename it to "id".  As of this commit it's only used
for identifying a subre node in debug printouts, so you might think we
should get rid of the field entirely; but I have a plan for another use.

Branch
------
master

Details