pgsql: Fix postmaster to attempt restart after a hot-standby crash. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Fix postmaster to attempt restart after a hot-standby crash.
Date
List pgsql-committers
Fix postmaster to attempt restart after a hot-standby crash.

The postmaster was coded to treat any unexpected exit of the startup
process (i.e., the WAL replay process) as a catastrophic crash, and not try
to restart it. This was OK so long as the startup process could not have
any sibling postmaster children.  However, if a hot-standby backend
crashes, we SIGQUIT the startup process along with everything else, and the
resulting exit is hardly "unexpected".  Treating it as such meant we failed
to restart a standby server after any child crash at all, not only a crash
of the WAL replay process as intended.  Adjust that.  Back-patch to 9.0
where hot standby was introduced.

Branch
------
master