BUG #6420: Incorrect description of Postgres time system - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From tom.mcglynn@nasa.gov
Subject BUG #6420: Incorrect description of Postgres time system
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      6420
Logged by:          Thomas McGlynn
Email address:      tom.mcglynn@nasa.gov
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.2
Operating system:   Any

As part of our preparations for the leap second this year I wanted to see
how Postgres handles this.  The only information I could see was

(Technically, PostgreSQL uses UT1 because=20
leap seconds are not handled.)

in section 9.9 of the manual.  This seems to be a misapprehension of what
the UT1 time system is.  UT1 measures mean solar time -- days are not
exactly 86400 seconds long.  Currently UT1 and UTC never differ by more than
one second.  Leap seconds are the way this correspondence is kept. What I
believe you should be saying is that you use TAI -- atomic time -- with some
offset.

If my inferences from the documentation is correct and Postgres measures the
number of seconds from UTC 2000-01-01, then the time system used is TAI-32
seconds.   See http://stjarnhimlen.se/comp/time.html for details (and to
check whether I got the sign right!).

I think this should be clearly stated in the documentation when discussing
the time types but I did not see it.

Regards...