pgsql: Reduce checkpoints and WAL traffic on low activity database serv - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Simon Riggs
Subject pgsql: Reduce checkpoints and WAL traffic on low activity database serv
Date
List pgsql-committers
Reduce checkpoints and WAL traffic on low activity database server
Previously, we skipped a checkpoint if no WAL had been written since
last checkpoint, though this does not appear in user documentation.
As of now, we skip a checkpoint until we have written at least one
enough WAL to switch the next WAL file. This greatly reduces the
level of activity and number of WAL messages generated by a very
low activity server. This is safe because the purpose of a checkpoint
is to act as a starting place for a recovery, in case of crash.
This patch maintains minimal WAL volume for replay in case of crash,
thus maintaining very low crash recovery time.

Branch
------
master

Details