Re: Intermitent slow queries - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron
Subject Re: Intermitent slow queries
Date
List pgsql-performance
Well, the traditional DBMS way of dealing with this sort of
summarization when the tables involved do not fit into RAM is to
create a "roll up" table or tables for the time period commonly
summarized over.

Since it looks like you've got a table with a row per hour, create
another that has a row per day that summarizes hours 1...24.
Ditto weekly, monthly, quarterly, or any other time period you
frequently summarize over.

Yes, this is explicitly a "space for time" trade-off.  DBs are
generally not very well suited to time series data.

I also find it, errr, =interesting= that your dedicated pg server
with 9 GB of RAM "never goes up above 1.8 in total usage".
That simply does not make sense if your OS and pg conf files are
configured correctly.

Make sure that you are running 64b RHEL 4 that is patched /
configured correctly to use the RAM you have.
(with 4 ?multi-core? CPUs, you =are= running a recent 2.6 based kernel, right?)

Ditto checking the pg conf file to make sure the values therein are sane.
With 9 GB of RAM, you should be able to:
=max out shared_buffers at 262143 (2 GB of shared buffers),
=set work_mem and maintenance_work_mem to considerably larger than
the defaults.
(If this query has the box to itself when running, you can set the
memory use parameters to values tuned specifically to the query.)
=just for giggles, boost max_stack_depth from 2 MB -> 4 MB
=set effective_cache_size to a realistic value given your HW + OS +
the tuning above.

The main point here is that most of your RAM should be in use.  If
you are getting poor performance and most of the RAM is !not! in use,
Something's Wrong (tm).

Of course, the "holy grail" is to have the entire data set you are
operating over to be RAM resident during the query.  If you can
manage that, said query should be =fast=.
RAM is cheap enough that if you can make this query RAM resident by a
reasonable combination of configuration + schema + RAM purchasing,
you should do it.

Cheers,
Ron Peacetree