Re: SCSI vs SATA - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron
Subject Re: SCSI vs SATA
Date
List pgsql-performance
BE VERY WARY OF USING AN ADAPTEC RAID CONTROLLER!

IME, they are usually the worst of the commodity RAID controllers available.
I've often seen SW RAID outperform them.

If you are going to use this config, Tyan's n3600M (AKA S2932) MB has
a variant that comes with 8 SAS + 6 SATA II connectors.
The SKU is S2932WG2NR.
http://www.tyan.us/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=453

Be very careful to get this =exact= SKU if you order this board and
want the one with SAS support.
The non-SAS variant's SKU is S2932G2NR.  Note that the only
difference is the "W" in the middle.

Anyway, the onboard RAID is based on a LSI PCI-E controller.

I'm using this beast (Dual Socket F, AMD Barcelona ready, 16 DIMMS
supporting up to 64GB of ECC RAM, 2 PCI-Ex16 slots w/ PCI-Ex8 signalling, etc:
~$450 US w/o SAS, ~$500 US w/ SAS) for my most recent pg 8.2.3 build
on top of XFS.

If the on board RAID is or becomes inadequate to your needs, I'd
strongly suggest either 3ware or Areca RAID controllers.

Side Note:
What kind of HDs are the 8*73GB ones?  If they are the new 2.5"
Savvio 15Ks, be =VERY= careful about having proper power and cooling for them.
14 HD's in one case are going to have a serious transient load on
system start up and (especially with those SAS HDs) can generate a
great deal of heat.

What 16bay 3U server are you using?

Cheers,
Ron Peacetree

PS to all:  Tom's point about the difference between enterprise and
and non-enterprise HDs is dead on accurate.
Enterprise class HD's have case "clam shells" that are specifically
designed for 5 years of 24x7 operation is gangs of RAID under typical
conditions found in a reasonable NOC.
Consumer HDs are designed to be used in consumer boxes in "one's and
two's", and for far less time per day, and under far less punishment
during the time they are on.
There is a =big= difference between consumer class HDs and enterprise
class HDs even if they both have 5 year warranties.
Buy the right thing for your typical use case or risk losing company data.

Getting the wrong thing when it is your responsibility to get the
right thing is a firing offense if Something Bad happens to the data
because of it where I come from.