Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ron
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date
List pgsql-performance
At 05:39 PM 12/14/2006, Alexander Staubo wrote:
>On Dec 14, 2006, at 20:28 , Ron wrote:
>
>>Can you do runs with just CFLAGS="-O3" and just CFLAGS="-msse2 -
>>mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops -m64 - march=opteron -pipe" as well ?
>
>All right. From my perspective, the effect of -O3 is significant,
>whereas architecture-related optimizations have no statistically
>significant effect.

Is this opinion?  Or have you rerun the tests using the flags I
suggested?  If so, can you post the results?

If  "-O3 -msse2 - mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops -m64 - march=opteron
-pipe" results in a 30-40% speed up over "-O0", and
" -msse2 - mfpmath=sse -funroll-loops -m64 - march=opteron -pipe"
results in a 5-10% speedup, then ~ 1/8 - 1/3 of the total possible
speedup is due to arch specific optimizations.

(testing "-O3" in isolation in addition tests for independence of
factors as well as showing what "plain" "-O3" can accomplish.)

Some might argue that a 5-10% speedup which represents 1/8 - 1/3 of
the total speedup is significant...

But enough speculating.  I look forward to seeing your data.

Ron Peacetree