Grant Update (Possible bug)? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Ilir Gashi
Subject Grant Update (Possible bug)?
Date
Re: Grant Update (Possible bug)?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

This is a another bug reported for the Firebird 1.0 server. I subsequently
ran it in PostgreSQL 7.2, Oracle 8.0.5 anf MSSQL 7.

Reproducible script:

Connect as pgsql:

CREATE TABLE TEST(ID INTEGER,NAME VARCHAR(50));

INSERT INTO TEST (ID) VALUES (1);

GRANT UPDATE ON TEST TO TESTUSER;

Connect as TestUser;

UPDATE TEST SET NAME='TEST' WHERE ID=1;

ERROR:  test: Permission denied.

UPDATE TEST SET NAME='TEST';

Executes successfully.

So the user can update the whole table but not specific columns. Is this a
bug or as specified (I read briefly the Reference Guide and I didn't see
this highlited anywhere, but I may have missed it.). Firebird and MSSQL
have the same behaviour as PostgreSQL (Firebird have acknowledged this as a
bug, I haven't checked on MSSQL website yet.)

In Oracle 8.0.5 both updates execute sucessfully.

Best regards,

Ilir

Ilir Gashi
PhD Student