Replication options - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Windsor
Subject Replication options
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi

I am used to using Oracle (15 years) and MySQL(5 years), but I am planning to move an existing application from MySQL to Postgres. The reasons are very simple,

  • New requirements means we need views, or a significant re-write
  • Better query/index performance essential.
  • Postgres and MySQL share a very common implementation of SQL-92, and what is missing can easily be implanted in functions

The only negative issue is replication. I have checked several Postgres Replication options and unsure which way to go. Can anyone recommend a replication option that meets the following:

  • Does not use triggers. Usually slow, and one action that modifies several records, can trigger many actions on slaves/peers.
  • Does use WAL, or other log, so that SQL DDL/DML is copied to slave/peer, rather than the result of the DDL/DML.
  • Must provide master-master and master-slave replication
  • Simple to configure and maintain

Many Thanx

Simon Windsor

Eml: simon.windsor@cornfield.org.uk