Re: indices and cidr/inet type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Welty
Subject Re: indices and cidr/inet type
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:46:47 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Richard Welty <rwelty@averillpark.net> writes:
> > hmmm. where should i go looking for sample code implementing operator
> > classes as an example?
>
> contrib.  Specifically, I'd suggest looking at contrib/seg, which
> defines a datatype for "interval on the real line" and builds a GIST
> opclass for it.  This seems like it'd map very easily to CIDR subnets.

very good, thanks.

i'll go rooting about for documentation on how GIST works.

also, how does 7.4 handle comparison of v6 and v4 addresses? i should think
it should map the v4 addresses into the v6 space provided for v4 mapping,
but that's not the only thing that might have been done.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net