Re: will an honest French ISP please stand up - Mailing list pgsql-general

From A. van Roggen
Subject Re: will an honest French ISP please stand up
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:48:22 -0400:
> I can't speak for what Bruce is filtering, but judging from this message
> to the list, your European address is irrelevant.  The mail is actually
> getting delivered from apps.tgds.net [212.100.226.141].  The blacklist
> I use blocks that address because it belongs to rackspace.

I have browsed this group for a while, and it seems to me that Tom's input is
almost half of the total -- certainly more than half of the useful posts.  No
wonder he had no time to look up the registration of 'apps.tgds.net'; he has
better things to do.

It turns out that that address is not registered under any of the 'net'
groups, (e.g. nsiregistry.net, networksolutions.com, internic.net, apnic.net,
etc.).
It still works, although it gave a different address (212.100.232.223) just
now after a ping.  People using such sites as e-mail address should be warned
that part of their mail may not go through.

Furthermore, to filter spam it is in my experience more successful by doing it
locally, rather than rely on the filters from an ISP (which often block whole
regions instead of individual sites).  The best filter is 'spamassassin' and
is easy to use, very easy if you know a bit about Perl.  Disadvantage of local
filtering is that the mail must have come through, and thus may be slow for
POT (plain old telephone) modems.

Keep up the good work on Postgres, which still lacks much good documentation,
especially in the interfaces, e.g. Class::DBI and the like.

A. van Roggen