Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Welty
Subject Re: fairly current mysql v postgresql comparison need for
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:46:42 -0700 (MST) "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> wrote:
> Just this one area alone shows the great difference in philosophy
> between
> the two databases.  It's not that one is better than the other, it's
> that
> they're aimed at difference audiences.

i did a lot of C code back in the early to mid 80s, and got used to fending
for myself.

then i spent 10 years as a professional lisp developer, mostly using lisp
machines.

when i went back to normal languages, i realized how important it is to
have systems actually enforce rules about data for you. i prefer postgresql
for the simple reason that if i use it properly, it will protect me from
much of my own stupidity as a developer, just like my lisp machine used to.

people who turn off these features to gain speed are asking for a world of
hurt somewhere down the line.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net