Re: Problems running postgres on XFS+LVM on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David Stanaway
Subject Re: Problems running postgres on XFS+LVM on Linux
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tuesday, July 3, 2001, at 10:59  AM, David Stanaway wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in the process of migrating a test system to using SGI's
> linux-2.4-xfs kernel, and have moved
> postgresql's /var/lib/postgres/data onto a seperate lv formated with
> XFS.
>
> Now postmaster fails to start correctly and consumes 100% of one CPU.

Its nice to be able to answer my own questions. :)

The problem was ownership and permisions of /var/lib/postgres/data

When I created the new filesystem and mount point
The permisions of this directory were incorrect:
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         4096 Jul  4 04:33 data

When I set it to the correct state:
drwx------    5 postgres postgres     4096 Jul  4 04:33 data

All was fine :)

No problems experienced yet, and I hope I didn't deter anyone from
trying XFS or LVM on linux.

--
Best Regards
David Stanaway