Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD
Subject Re: Postgres 8.3 archive_command
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't think that should even be a TODO item --- it seems far more
> likely to provide a foot-gun than useful capability.

On further reflection I think that initdb time is probably sufficient.
Do you think that would be a reasonable TODO ?

> Whether 16MB is still a reasonable default segment size is worth
> questioning, though I don't think that increasing it is an
open-and-shut
> proposition.  Larger segments mean more overhead in configurations
that
> force frequent segment switches, for instance.

Yes, imho there is no one size fits all (if there were, it would
probably bebetween 32 and 64 Mb).
But there are installations where even 16Mb is too much e.g. for an
embedded device.

Andreas