Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD
Subject Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)
Date
Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)
List pgsql-hackers
> > I think the cool thing that Josh Berkus wants is
> >
> > return query select a, b, c from foo;
> > return query select d, e, f from bar;
> >

> maybe better
>
> SELECT a,b FROM foo;
> SELECT d, e FROM bar;
>
> procedure doesn't need return statement usually

The background for Quel was, that when selecting all fields from
an inheritance hierarchy you got the additional fields of each child.

Thus the field count and types could vary within one cursor.
Like if you would allow the following:
select a, b::int from foo
union all
select a, c::varchar, d, e from bar

I don't think anybody would want to transfer that idea to sql clients.
In sql the first statement would define field count, name/alias and
type.
The second statement would need to implicitly cast or fail if it does
not match.

Andreas