Re: Auto creation of Partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD
Subject Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > What is really needed is a data structure that allows range
partitions
> > to be accessed more efficiently. This could make adding partitions
and
> > deciding in which partition a specific value goes an O(logN)
operation.

> I think we need to re-evaluate the inheritance mechanism for
> partitioning and implement something much closer to the
> storage layer, similar to Oracle.
>
> Having the constraint exclusion occur in the planner is not
> flexible enough to allow more advanced solutions.

Whoa, do you have anything to back that up ?
You would need to elaborate what you actually mean, but I think it is
moot.
Sure, the constraint technique can be further extended (e.g. during
runtime), but imho the approach is very good.

Andreas