Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Gray
Subject Re: "--tuning" compile and runtime option (?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I can understand why there might be some resistance to the idea of
adding performance tuning flags into the server rather than documenting
existing settings better, but I think a compromise would be possible.

Could we develop a helper application that takes the  --tuning
superserver argument and translates that into a set of options to pass?
That way, fine-tuning by hand is still practical, but for those who just
want a good first set of values, a tuning helper application that looks
at system memory, processor speed, and a user-supplied indication of the
system's purpose and produces a set of postmaster options  might be the
way to approach this. And we don't bloat the server with extra
algorithms. There is no dependency on this utility, either (assuming we
continue to use workable defaults for postmaster options!) but it may
benefit some people to use it.

I really like the performance hints thing too.

John

--
John Gray
Tel +44-7974-100-584