Re: Compiling a PostgreSQL 7.3.2 project with Eclipse - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Krešimir Križanović
Subject Re: Compiling a PostgreSQL 7.3.2 project with Eclipse
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for the help, that is the problem I think. However, I didn’t manage to test it yet. When I compile the project
inEclipse, I get postgres executable, but not the postmaster. I found somewhere on the net that postmaster and postgres
areactually the same program, and when Install TelegraphCQ2.1 through shell, i get a postmaster, which is a link to a
file.(since my linux knowledge rather poor, I didn’t manage yet to find out which file, but I strongly suspect
postgres).
Do you maybe have an idea how to make that link, or how to start postgres as a daemon?
Sorry for the bother, again.
Concerning TelegraphCQ, my aim is to add geospatial capabilities, to actually merge it with PostGIS. Its a part of my
PhDThesis.

Thanks,K.K.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Smith [mailto:greg@2ndquadrant.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 8:32 PM
To: Krešimir Križanović
Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Compiling a PostgreSQL 7.3.2 project with Eclipse

Krešimir Križanović wrote:

> However, where I compile and run the project, in the Eclipse console I
> get:
>
> POSTGRES backend interactive interface
>
> $Revision: 1.115 $ $Date: 2006/02/06 01:19:46 $
>
> I don’t know what to do with this backend interface. I would like to
> get a postmaster running and to connect to a data base with psql.
> However, when i try to start psql, it says that there is no postmaster
> running.

An example of a session with that interface is at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2000-01/msg01471.php ; you
may find it useful at some point.

Your problem is caused by a change made to PostgreSQL's naming
convention made after the 7.3 fork you're using. In earlier versions,
"postgres" meant start the server in single user mode:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-postgres.html

While "postmaster" started it as a proper server:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-postmaster.html

In modern versions, they are the same thing. The Eclipse example uses
"postgres", which starts the regular server now, but in 7.3 only started
single user mode. Change where you run the program to use "postmaster"
instead and it should work more like what you're expecting.

Doing something useful with the TelegraphCQ code is probably going to
take you a while.