Re: large object seek/write bug - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Ian Grant
Subject Re: large object seek/write bug
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Thank you for the carefully developed test case.  The bug is actually
> in the backend, not in libpq: ... snip ...
>
> I believe the attached patch fixes these problems, but I haven't been
> able to wring it out very thoroughly because I don't have applications
> that do random seeks and writes in large objects.  If you could bang
> on it a little more and report back, that'd be great.

Hi Tom.  Thanks for the response and the quick fix.  I'll write some more test cases now.  I just thought that whilst
thispart of the backend is still fresh in your mind you might consider implementing lo_truncate (the lo_ analog of the
unixtruncate system call.)  At present there is no way to reduce the size of a large object except by copying to a new
one(and then we still can't delete the old one, or can we do that now?)

Cheers
Ian
--
Ian Grant, Computer Lab., New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge
Phone: +44 1223 334420          Personal e-mail: iang at pobox dot com