Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From James Robinson
Subject Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ...
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 11:42  PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Once upon a time it seemed that was where the hot buttons were, but
> if your hot button is mostly int8, maybe we could fix that by removing
> the int8-vs-int4 cross-type operators, and not touch the initial typing
> of integer literals just yet.  Does someone want to explore the
> consequences of trying that?

I would be delighted, sitting on a 59 table production OLTP system,
all with int8 primary keys and foreign key references out the yin yang.
Things are running within within our needs currently, but just having
realized that things could potentially be much better, the desire for
'wow, we're doing all of these O(n) searches that we thought were
log2(n), so this could be so much better than we realized without
us touching our app logic at all.'

My personal need-to-be-scratched is int8 exclusively. What sort of
'fool'
would ever have a int2 index :-) ? Probably the same number of 'fools'
with int8.

James