initdb / pg_version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Patrick Welche
Subject initdb / pg_version
Date
Re: [HACKERS] initdb / pg_version
List pgsql-hackers
I just spent some time trying to work out why PG_VERSION contained 6.6 rather
than 7.0 in my freshly initdb'd directory. End result: I don't understand
why after doing a make in src/bin/pg_version, doing a make install recompiles
pg_version even though it was just made. This leads to the problem that I
do the first make as prlw1, then the make install as postgres. As make install
insists on relinking pg_version even though it is up to date, postgres tries
to write pg_version to prlw1's src directory which fails, so it doesn't
install. (I suspect that the general trend is to do everything as user
postgres, but there must be something up with the Makefile..)

Any thoughts to fix the build process?

Cheers,

Patrick