Re: Recommendations for SSDs in production? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Strunz
Subject Re: Recommendations for SSDs in production?
Date
Re: Recommendations for SSDs in production?  (Benjamin Smith <lists@benjamindsmith.com>)
List pgsql-general
Vertex 3 and ocz in general has a very bad reputation in the "enthusiast scene". Sudden issues, hard locks, data loss and so on. Just go and look in the OCZ forums. I would not dare by on Vertex 3 for my desktop...have 2 Intel ones.

I have no idea what you do but just the fact that you bought ssds to improve performance means it's rather high load and hence important. Using a consumer drive for that IMHO is not the best idea. I know a lot about ssds but just in consumer space. Intel has a good reputation in terms of reliability but they are not the fastest. I guess go Intel route or some other crazy expensive enterprise stuff.
Note that consumers drives can lead to data loss in case of power failure (data in cache, no capacitors that would give enough power to flush to nand).

For database I assume random read and writes are by way the most important thing and any recent ssd is orders of magnitude faster in that are compared to HDD even the "slow" Intel drives.

Regards,

Thomas