Re: Database design - best practice - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Willem Leenen
Subject Re: Database design - best practice
Date
Re: Database design - best practice  (Bèrto ëd Sèra <berto.d.sera@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Niels,

" I can't see why it would make sense to put that into a separate table and join in the values "
You don't normalize for performance. People DEnormalize for performance.

Questions: (AFAIK)

1) This is a way to disaster. Get yourself a book on RDBMS from for example Celko. Do NOT go against the flow of the RDBMS rules, as here in rule #1 atomic values of a column.

2) This is not the big fish you are after. First benchmark your setup and compare the results with your desired performance level. First quantify your problem, if there is any, before using tricks.

3) A row will need more memory when it is wider, this may be amplified during hash joins.

4) People DEnormalize for performance.

5) " Is it significantly faster to select * from a table with 20 columns, than selecting the same 20 in a table with 150 columns?"

I know the answer, but i encourage you to simply test this. I have seen lot's of urban legends about performance ( including the dropping of the referential integrity be cause that would make a difference.... ).
Of course , when it's a full table scan, and it are ALL disk reads, (or ALL memory reads_) you can simply calculate it too. But just get into the habit of  testing for learning.

My advice:
- know what performance you need.
- test if you have this, varying tablecontent and systemload
- do not tamper with the RDBMS rules, this will haunt you.
- if you have the latest postgres version, you can use covering indexes: tables aren't accessed at all, bypassing most of your questions. Check with peers if you've got the indexes right.

Regards,
Willem