Re: Seeded Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lou Tseng
Subject Re: Seeded Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you Adrian.  copy_data = false did the trick!

Lou Tseng

ltseng@advancedpricing.com
Advanced Medical Pricing Solutions
35 Technology Parkway South, Suite. 100
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 7:10 PM
To: Lou Tseng; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Seeded Replication

On 4/3/19 4:44 AM, Lou Tseng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are working on a project to set up replication from on premises
> Postgresql 10.4 to Azure Postgresql services. However, our database is
> about 200G and it will take a long time to complete the initial data
> copy.  We would like to manually seed the subscriber database with data
> dump and then turn on the subscription like depesz showed in this post
> https://www.depesz.com/2017/02/07/waiting-for-postgresql-10-logical-replication/ .
> It works for the small testing database but when I applied same steps
> with entire database, I am getting "ERROR:  duplicate key value violates
> unique constraint" errors. Basically postgresql does not recognize the
> primary key.

Actually it does which why you get the error, which by the way is the
same error depesz got in his demo:)

 From your subsequent post:

CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... WITH (enabled = false)

Did the above also have?:

copy_data = false

If not then you would copying over the data again and that would trigger
the duplicate key error.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com