RE: What version postgresql libpqxx - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Stephen Froehlich
Subject RE: What version postgresql libpqxx
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hi Roboloki,

Each new version of pg releases in mid-October … and pg11 came out on Oct 18, 2018 (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/release-11.html) … so each current version of PostgreSQL is only current for about a year … though support continues for several years for each version.

In general, libpqxx and similar libraries for other languages are not very sensitive to the version running on the server but instead implement parts of the PostgreSQL protocol that aren’t changing … its not where the innovation typically is anyway. What changes is these libraries from version to version is typically the C++ - facing API.

As for libpqxx, unless you need a feature in 7.0, my instinct would be to go with the most recent stable release (6.4.4) and watch out for deprecation warnings.

--Stephen