Re: authentication - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Chris Faulkner
Subject Re: authentication
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello

Thanks for the feedback. MySQL offers the ability to disable TCP/IP
networking and use named pipes. It would be nice if postgres offered the
same. They claim improved performance but I am not sure of the security
implications, although removing an open tcp/ip port feels safer.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-jdbc-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Barry Lind
Sent: 23 September 2003 17:01
To: Chris Faulkner
Cc: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] authentication

Chris,

You can't do what you are trying to do with java.  Java does not support
a non-portable concept like unix sockets.  So the only way to connect to
postgres from jdbc is through tcpip.

The two jdbc connection URLs you give below are identical in
functionality.  If you don't specify the machine and port in the URL it
uses the default values of localhost and 5432.

thanks,
--Barry

Chris Faulkner wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am using postgres in the cygwin environment. I have two services set
up -
> one launches it with no networking and one with networking so that it runs
> on port 5432. Both are fine in terms of the service and I can connect with
> psql with both. However, I need to connect with a JDBC connection. I can
get
> the JDBC connection to work with networking but not without. SInce my Java
> app always runs locally, I would like to leave the networking off.
>
> The connection parameter for networking (all OK with this one)
> <init-param url="jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/template1"/>
>
> With no networking, it is as follows (doesn't connect)
> <init-param url="jdbc:postgresql:template1"/>
>
> I have read threads elsewhere which seem to suggest that it can be made to
> work like this - any ideas anyone ?
>
> The second part to this is about authentication. I would like to connect
> with a low-privileged user, but all users should use a password. This is
my
> only entry in /usr/share/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
>
> # TYPE    DATABASE    USER    IP-ADDRESS    IP-MASK        METHOD
> local        all        all                        password
>
> WHatever change I make to this, psql never prompts when running on the
same
> machine. Does cygwin support pg_hba.conf ? If I use psql with -U and -W, I
> get prompted for a password but it lets me in whatever I type.
>
> Thanks for ANY help or pointers.
>
> Chris

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

      joining column's datatypes do not match