Fwd: max_fsm_relations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Kohll
Subject Fwd: max_fsm_relations
Date
List pgsql-general
Looking at pg_stat_user_indexes, it seems a lot of the indexes aren't actually used. That could be it.

Regards
Oliver

Begin forwarded message:

From: Oliver Kohll <oliver@gtwm.co.uk>
Date: 17 November 2007 15:06:38 GMT
Subject: max_fsm_relations

Hi,

My max_fsm_relations is set to 2000, up from the default of 1000 after previously getting warnings logged when the number of tables and indexes exceeded that.

Looking again at it now, about a year later, our databases have grown. In one database, the number of indexes and   tables is reported as:

portalbasedata=# select count(*) from pg_class where relkind in ('t','i');
 count
-------
  2826
(1 row)

I understood that max_fsm_relations should be set to greater than this number (totaled over all databases). Is that wrong? I'm not getting any messages in the logs.

The command line
vacuumdb -z -a -f -U postgres -v
gives the following stats at the end:

INFO:  free space map contains 1599 pages in 1830 relations
DETAIL:  A total of 29456 page slots are in use (including overhead).
29456 page slots are required to track all free space.
Current limits are:  153600 page slots, 2000 relations, using 1027 KB.

As the SELECT above shows, I know there are many more than 1830 tables and indexes, so I'm not sure exactly what this is reporting.

Can someone shed some light and let me know if increasing max_fsm_relations would be a good idea?

Postgres version is 8.1.9

Regards

Oliver Kohll