Re: feature request ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: feature request ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Jun 24, 2004, at 2:12 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Sad,
>
>> since BOOL expression has three possible values: TRUE,FALSE,NULL
>> plpgsql IF control structure should have three alternate blocks:
>> THEN,ELSE,NULL
>>
>> shouldn't it ?
>
> No, why?
>
> How would you construct a tri-valued IF/THEN?     Doesn't seem too
> likely to
> me, as well as being different from every other programming language in
> existance ...

Creating a new control structure to do handle this seems odd. However,
one could easily have the same effect using a nested if. Using the
pl/pgsql ELSIF construct, it's pretty straightforward.

IF foo IS NULLTHEN ...
ELSIF fooTHEN ...
ELSE ...
END IF;