Indexes on Expressions -- Parentheses - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas F.O'Connell
List pgsql-general
From 11.5 in the docs:

<bigger><bigger>"The syntax of the
requires writing parentheses around index expressions, as shown in the
second example. The parentheses may be omitted when the expression is
just a function call, as in the first example."

</bigger></bigger>But when I try this:

db=# CREATE INDEX expression_idx on some_table( extract( year from
some_column ) );

I get a syntax error corresponding to the open parenthesis after
extract (and whitespace is not the issue).

If I add an enclosing set of parentheses, E.g.:

db=# CREATE INDEX expression_idx on some_table( ( extract( year from
some_column ) ) );

it works!

Is this a known issue?

-tfo
 From 11.5 in the docs:

"The syntax of the CREATE INDEX command normally requires writing