Re: Restoring a database problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Restoring a database problem
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sep 30, 2020, at 6:11 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

On Thu, Oct  1, 2020 at 01:00:21PM +1300, Glen Eustace wrote:
I have had to do this so rarely and it has almost always been in a bit of a
panic so may well be missing something really obvious.

What I want to know is how to quiese a database to that I can restore it.

I need to close all existing connections and the prevent people/processes from
connecting again until the restore has completed.

Currently I have been logging into a bunch of servers and stopping various
daemons, then on the database server killing processes until the database is
apparently idle then dropping the database and doing the restore. Then
restarting the daemons etc. I am sure I am not doing this the right way so
advice gratefully received.

I would modify pg_hba.conf to block access temporarily.

--
 Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
 EnterpriseDB                             https://enterprisedb.com

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiB56D1k5LsAhXBAp0JHQkYA3MQFjAAegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F35319597%2Fhow-to-stop-kill-a-query-in-postgresql&usg=AOvVaw0NOCdUxbKHpDTqHulgubqC