FATAL 1: Sorry, too many clients already - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From A.M.
Subject FATAL 1: Sorry, too many clients already
Date
List pgsql-admin
OMG, I'm about to rip my hair out. I've been writing a webapp using
DBD::Pg and it has been accessing postgresql for weeks without
problems. Suddenly this morning with no changes to the setup, I get:
FATAL 1:  Sorry, too many clients already
whenever I try to use the webapp (running under user "apache"). This
message appears when I have psql open and in the httpd error_log.
However, if I connect using psql via the domain socket or tcp socket, I
have no problems! I restarted postgres, apache, and the entire server
and the shit won't go away. What am I doing wrong?!
Setup:
RedHat 7.1
pgsql 7.2.2
Nothing other than the db and webapp are running on the server. What
should I do?
AgentM
agentm@cmu.edu