Re: Concurrent INSERT statements with RETURNING clause resetting SERIAL sequence - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sebastien Flaesch
Subject Re: Concurrent INSERT statements with RETURNING clause resetting SERIAL sequence
Date
List pgsql-general

Changing a bit the CASE/WHEN logic in the RETURNING clause solves the issue when concurrently inserting rows without specifying explicitly a value for the serial column (INSERTs specifying values for the serial column are seldom used by concurrent programs inserting many rows):

        insert into tab1 (name) VALUES ('aaa')
            returning tab1.pkey,
                      (select case
                         when tab1.pkey>(select last_value from public.tab1_pkey_seq)
                              then setval('public.tab1_pkey_seq',tab1.pkey,true)
                         else 0
                       end)

Example (assuming there is no unique constraint!):

  1. INSERT without value for serial column => sequence=0+1 => last_value = 1
  2. INSERT without value for serial column => sequence=1+1 => last_value = 2
  3. INSERT with value 2 for serial column => tab1.pkey(2) > last_value(2) ? false => no sequence reset
  4. INSERT without value for serial column => sequence=2+1 => last_value = 3
  5. INSERT with value 4 for serial column => tab1.pkey(4) > last_value ? true => setval(seqname,4,true)
  6. INSERT without value for serial column => sequence=4+1 => last_value = 5
This will also save setval() calls for each INSERT not specifying a value explicitly for the serial column.

Stop me if I am wrong... 🙂

Seb

Seb