Logical Replication Configuration for 11 sites Bi-directional logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Avi Weinberg
Subject Logical Replication Configuration for 11 sites Bi-directional logical replication
Date
List pgsql-general

I have a setup with the following:

One (1) "main" site

Ten (10) "regional" sites

"main" site is a publisher to each of the regional sites (for 20 tables).

"main" site is also a subscriber from each of the 10 regional sites (5 tables).

In short: The main site has 1 publication and 10 subscriptions.  Each regional site has 1 publication and 1 subscription.  This is in addition to the streaming replication that each main and regional sites have for High Availability.

I currently have the following Postgres configuration for "main" site

max_wal_senders (25)

max_replication_slots (25)

max_logical_replication_workers (25)

max_worker_processes (25)

logical_decoding_work_mem (128MB)

max_slot_wal_keep_size 750MB

max_parallel_workers (8) default

max_parallel_maintenance_workers (2) default

max_parallel_workers_per_gather (2) default

max_sync_workers_per_subscription (2) default

I currently have the following Postgres configuration for "regional" site

max_wal_senders (10)

max_replication_slots (10)

max_logical_replication_workers (10)

max_worker_processes (10)

logical_decoding_work_mem (128MB)

max_slot_wal_keep_size 750MB

max_parallel_workers (8) default

max_parallel_maintenance_workers (2) default

max_parallel_workers_per_gather (2) default

max_sync_workers_per_subscription (2) default

Is this configuration sufficient and complete for a setup described above?

If I set higher number but do not use them (not all 10 regional sites defined) will it still consume resources?

I prefer to set higher numbers now so I will not need to restart Postgres when more "regional" setup are installed as long as it is not consuming to much resources if currently not used.

Thanks!

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments is intended for the above named addressee(s), and may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender immediately and delete this email: you should not copy or use this e-mail for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any person.