From Clause Conditional - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zahir Lalani
Subject From Clause Conditional
Date
Re: From Clause Conditional  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

Confidential

Hello All

We are testing a upgrade from pg11 to pg14 and have some issues to overcome. One of these is that we have upgraded pgsodium to the latest and there is a functional change – this question is not about sodium BTW.

So here is a sample bit of code that I will use to explain the issue – this would usually be params passed in, but I have hard coded one particular case that does not need the decryption. The code below would return decrypted data if the key is supplied (non 0) otherwise return null. This code used to work because the secret box call would allow null params. It no longer does. When the key is 0, the data passed in would be null.

LEFT JOIN lateral (

SELECT

                                CASE

WHEN (0 > 0) THEN

convert_from(crypto_secretbox_open, 'utf8')::JSON

ELSE

NULL

END AS edata

FROM

                                crypto_secretbox_open(coalesce(null, '')::bytea, coalesce(null, '')::bytea,0)

where (0>0)

) enc ON true

The issue is that, even when the key is 0, the select is still run (its part of a lateral join) and what we need to achieve is to effectively have a conditional where we only run the select if the key > 0 otherwise we return null – I have a brain freeze on this! I am sure there is an easy solution, but right now I can’t see it.

Thx in advance