Re: Restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Restore
Date
Re: Restore  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
Re: Restore  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
I just stopped the server after changing config to trust and I got the
message `System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied`

Perhaps this is a clue.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver
Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 5:15 PM
To: Bob Pawley
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org ; bricklen
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Restore

On Friday 24 December 2010 5:00:19 pm Bob Pawley wrote:
> In the windows install PG Admin comes packaged with PostgreSQL.
>
> I`m a little confused. My PDW database has postgres as an owner.
>
> You refer to postgres as a user.

The default superuser for Postgres is the user postgres. An owner needs to
be a
user(role actually) so the user that owns PDW is postgres. To make things a
little more complicated the system user that Postgres is run as is also
usually
called postgres. This is why I am trying to figure out which password you
are
using. In order for it to work to connect to Postgres it needs to be the
password associated with the database user postgres not the system user
postgres. If you are using the password that the Postgres installer used to
set
up the system postgres user that is the wrong one. The one you want is the
one
you used when you set up the Server properties in PgAdmin.

> My PG Admin shows postgres as a database along with PDW and
> template_postgis.

The postgres database is a system db set up along with template0 and
template1
when a Postgres database cluster is first created.

> The postgres database probably has a password.

> Maybe I need to delete the postgres database.

No don't do that. It is basically empty and can be recreated if needed but
there
is no need to delete it.

--
Adrian Klaver