RE: jdbc and unix signals - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Nikk Anderson
Subject RE: jdbc and unix signals
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

Peter Eisentraut writes:
>You can't catch signals in Java, because not all systems have signals.
>You might be able to write native methods to do so, but consider
>reconsidering your design.

You can catch OS signals in java, although there are different signals for each OS.  The following packages have signal functionality: sun.misc.Signal, sun.misc.SignalHandler.

I have created test programs which can handle various signals sucessfully - and it is these test programs which work (i.e. catch signals) when no jdbc driver is loaded, and do not when the driver is loaded.

Check out the following url for a discussion about signals.
http://forums.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?forum=37&thread=70586

Cheers

Nikk