Re: replicating DDL statements - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric B.Ridge
Subject Re: replicating DDL statements
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 06:21  PM, Ed L. wrote:

> On Thursday March 6 2003 3:36, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 02:45:41PM -0700, Ed L. wrote:
>>> And in the absence of a SET TRIGGERS='off' command, anyone see any
>>> concerns with the following?
>>>
>>>   UPDATE pg_trigger
>>>   SET tgenabled = 'f'
>>>   WHERE tgname LIKE '%whatever%';
>>
>> I have heard warnings that this is not guaranteed to work, as there
>> may still be places in the code where checking that table is not
>> happening.  Perhaps that was only true for older versions, though?
>
> Unfortunately not.  It doesn't work for me on 7.3.2 with a triggered C
> function (dbmirror). :(

Is the goal to simply turn off triggers (I haven't really been
following this thread)?  Why not do what pg_dump (in 7.3 anyways) does:

OFF:
update pg_class set reltriggers = 0 where relname = 'TABLE_NAME';

ON:
update pg_class set reltriggers = (select count(*) from pg_trigger
where pg_class.oid = tgrelid) where relname = 'TABLE_NAME';

eric