Re: Insert Text - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Insert Text
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Jan 31, 2006, at 10:04 , <operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> i allow my users to insert notes.  when they leave the
> note blank, "" gets inserted into the db.  is this
> expected behavior?  tia...

What do *you* expect? How are you inserting into the database? Look
at the INSERT statement that is being used. I suspect you're using
some kind of scripting language for your front-end, and your variable
that holds the note is an empty string. In this case, inserting an
empty string is to be expected. If you want it to insert something
else (or not insert anything at all), you're probably going to have
to modify your front-end or perhaps write a stored procedure to
handle your insert.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com