Re: guids / bytea and index use ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: guids / bytea and index use ?
Date
List pgsql-general
rahul143 wrote:
> We are currently using a 32byte varchar for our primary keys. We tried to
> reduce this down to 16 bytes but varchar didn’t seem to store this
> correctly. I’d like to use bytea instead so we could use 16bytes, but are
> indexes used properly ? Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to
> store guids ? We don’t have any experience in recompiling the postgres
> source code etc.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/datatype-uuid.html

You should use this data type.
In old versions of PostgreSQL, a bytea should do.

I am not sure what you mean with "used properly".
As long as you search for equality on the field,
the index would be eligible.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe