Re: LIKE op with B-Tree Index? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: LIKE op with B-Tree Index?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sam Wong wrote:
> [...]

[Q1 and Q2 have different row estimates]

Merlin wrote:
>> Right -- I didn't visualize it properly.  Still, you're asking
>> the server to infer that
>> since you're looking between to adjacent textual characters range
bounded
>> [) it convert the 'between' to a partial
>> string search.   That hold up logically but probably isn't worth
>> spending cycles to do, particularly in cases of non-ascii mappable
unicode
>> characters.

> Postgresql did that already. Refer to the analyze result of Q1 and Q2,
it
> gives
> "Index Cond: ((shipment_id >= '12345678'::text) AND (shipment_id <
> '12345679'::text))"
> (I also just realized they did it just now)
>
> Yet, with additional Filter (ref Q1 analyze), it's surprisingly that
it
> estimates Q1 will have more rows that Q2.
>
> FYI, I made a self-contained test case and submitted a bug #7610.

Did you try to increase the statistics for column "shipment_id"?

This will probably not make the difference go away, but
if the estimate gets better, it might be good enough for
the planner to pick the correct plan.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe