Re: Bad Data back Door - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Bad Data back Door
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> As the author I agree that this is a bug in oracle_fdw.

> Thanks. Should I file a report somewhere?

That's not necessary.  Thanks for reporting the problem.
It may be a few days until I get around to fix that.

>> Oracle does not care much about correct encoding.

> Yeah, same here. I've been looking into write a function to try
> to fix poorly-encoded data, though, but haven't got far,
> because CONVERT() does not indicate failure. If you have
> any insight on this, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this
> Stack Overflow question:
>
>   http://stackoverflow.com/q/12717363/79202

The only thing I can think of is a stored procedure in Java.
You could use java.nio.charset.CharsetEncoder and
java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder which should throw exceptions
if they encounter illegal bytes.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe