Re: stored procedures (packages) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: stored procedures (packages)
Date
List pgsql-general
J.V. wrote:
> I need to run a series of stored procedures, what is the best way to
> organize and run.
>
> Ideally would like something like Oracle PL/SQL where I can put all
> methods in one file and create a main() method
>
> then just :  select main() to have them all run.
>
> If there is a way to do this, please let me know.

Don't try to do PostgreSQL things the Oracle way.

To group functions that logically belong together, you can put them
into a separate schema.

You can grant users execute rights on only one of them if you like
(or rather, because by default PUBLIC has execute rights, revoke
that from all others).

> Also is it possible to call a stored function or procedure from
another
> stored proc/function?

Sure, use them in an SQL statement inside a function.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe