Re: question about readonly instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: question about readonly instances
Date
List pgsql-general
Szymon Guz wrote:
>>> I've got a question about quite a strange configuration.
>>> I was asked if we can have one storage, with one data directory where one postgresql
>>> instance writes data, and many other instances read those.
>>> Is that possible without any replication and copying data?
>>
>> Why do they think they need that?
>
> They've got some quite
> nice and huge storage and it would be nice to use it from many different machines running postgreses.

I'm surprised to hear that.
Normally storage is the bottleneck for a database, i.e. you would
not gain performance if more than one database ran against the same storage.

> Another option is Oracle which can do that.

I have not heard that RAC is a performance booster.
It's more like a protection against certain types of hardware failure.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe